2018 Fasting Guide – Day One
This is how God began speaking to me in regards to 2018. Devoted. What a word! This word is so layered in its meaning. It means “having strong love or loyalty for something or someone.”
The synonyms are:
• AdoringWhile the antonym is:
• UnlovingWow! One little word, with so much meaning!
Let’s break this down. If God is speaking to us about devotion, then we need to pay attention to what He is trying to reveal to us. Let’s start with the kind of love He wants us to exude through our devotion. Didn’t He model that for us?
John 3:16-18 NKJV
God had pre-determined to do whatever needed to be done. His devotion to us caused Him to give. His love is big enough for us that He gave the very best He had to redeem us—His Son. Now, that is totally devoted!
He also modeled:
• Love that does more than talk.
• Love that is willing to lay down your life for the sake of another.
• Loyalty. This seems to be a word people reject. They identify loyalty with submission, and both loyalty and submission are rejected by many. Loyalty and submission have been twisted by the devil to mean control and lack of freedom and considered to be ridiculous in this day and age.
I mean, we are free to choose everything, and there is everything to choose. We have access to so many things and so much to do. And people do choose. Most people, if we were honest, choose to be loyal to themselves, to their own agendas, their own wants and their own plans.
Jesus went to the cross for us, but didn’t He also say this:
Matthew 16:24 KJV
Devotion is a choice. It includes loving Him and loyalty. And loyalty that includes fidelity.
No one else can take His place in your heart or your affection. You are to have allegiance to the cross and all that it means.
God is looking for devoted disciples who will stay steadfast to Him and Him alone.
Loyalty cannot be demanded; it must be something that each individual must choose from their own free will.
Joshua 24:15a NKJV
Joshua made the choice, and so must we.
Joshua 24:15b NKJV
It is time for us, the Church, to be totally devoted to Him.
1 Corinthians 16:24 AMP
God wants us to be devoted enough to sit at His feet, adoring Him, and falling in love over and over again, and letting His heart consume ours until we are as tenderhearted as He is.